Shaping Public Policy
The M.Phil Public Policy Program at RIPP provides specialist studies in public policy, public administration and public governance of services at the local, national and international level. Our postgraduate policy studies program applies a social science perspective to questions of policy and management in modern organizations. Policymaking plays a key role in the management and change of the economy and society. From policy conceptualization, implementation and management, to evaluation and research - there are few professional areas where you can impact society as greatly as when you are helping to shape public policy.
Experienced teaching staff
Teaching staff at RIPP have had direct experience either as policy makers or policy researchers. They bring their real-life experience to the classroom, revealing the relationship between theory, research and everyday practice.
- A small core full time faculty
- Professional and experienced practitioners of Public Policy and management would be engaged to teach and frequently visit classes as guest speakers.
- Attract experienced and accomplished faculty members by engaging leaders and Researchers in their respective specialties
- Draw on expert academicians from other departments of the University
- Policy leaders from Pakistan and abroad
The M.Phil courses are designed to:
- Sensitize the students to concepts and issues in the discipline of Public Policy and modern statecraft
- Develop the students understanding of the methodology and processes of Public Policy formulation and implementation in different political environments
- To enhance the student’s capacity to think and plan strategically and appreciate how various factors, internal as well as external, have bearing upon the policy process
- Give an opportunity to the students to study the socio-cultural environment, human Development and public service management, particularly in Pakistan, and understand how these factors influence the process of Public Policy formulation and implementation
- The courses would enhance students understanding of geo-political and geo-economic trends in a globalized world.
M.Phil Public Policy For you
- Our Public Policy and Governance degree will develop your understanding of policy-making and implementation whether you are working in policy think tanks, policy advocacy or policy governance institutions.
- Our broad selection of courses in key public policy areas and opportunities for intensive study are designed with the professional in mind.
- This Masters degree is ideal for professionals who have relevant work experience. This may be in government, non-government and private sectors in Australia and internationally.
What is in for Policy Makers?
The M.Phil Public Policy degree offered by RIPP/Islamabad is more than relevant in today’s globalized world of which Pakistan is an important member. The perception that people involved in the craft of government do not need formal education or skills has time and again been proven wrong. Public policies immaturely formulated and badly implemented have led to alienation of the citizens from the government.
Public policy is not simply a matter of general knowledge and common sense; its processes and methodologies need to be understood. As is true for most vocations, professionals in the field of public policy also need to go through a process of training and education in relevant fields to become experts. They need to acquire relevant knowledge, practice the skills and patiently accumulate experience, so as to master the craft of the state and good governance and become recognized as professionals.
The perceptions that leadership training is futile because leaders are born and not made, too is mistaken. In fact, good public policy education is critical to better governance. The range of knowledge for government is wide. It encompasses business and economics, socio cultural diversity, and international relations.
It extends to social issues like education, health care, and housing, as well as foreign policy and security matters. No single public officer or political leader can master all of these issues, but even a generalist needs to be familiar with at least some of them, to make a useful contribution. Cognizant of the urgent need to educate students in the field of public policy, Riphah International University has established the Riphah Institute of Public Policy (RIPP), and initiated the MPhil PP degree program so as to contribute marginally to good governance in the country.