Introduction of Lifestyle Medicine:
Lifestyle medicine is both a discipline and a movement for change. LSM advocated for innovation in clinical practice and prevention. In particular addressing the drivers of chronic disease, health equity, and environmental sustainability. There are six components of LSM which are healthful eating, increasing exercise, improving sleep, cessation f tobacco, form and maintain relationships, and developing strategies to manage stress with a focus on all non-communicable diseases (NCDs). Lifestyle medicine (LSM) is a burgeoning field, defined in the journal of the American Medical Association as the ‘evidence-based practice of assisting individuals and their families to adopt and sustain behaviors that can improve health and quality of life”. In Pakistan, Lifestyle Medicine is yet to be recognized as a specialty by medical professionals, regulating bodies(PMC, PNC), and the general public. Riphah International University in collaboration with LMTC can take lead in creating awareness and incorporate lifestyle medicine in the undergraduate and post-graduate medical curriculum and get lifestyle medicine recognized as a subspecialty of medicine.
Aims & Objectives:
IIMC was founded with sole purpose of providing quality education, disciplined behavior and character building of the budding doctors. The graduating doctors are expected to be:
1. Good, practicing and enlightened Muslim medical professionals.
2. Committed to Professional excellence with strong community orientation.
3. Able to manage emergencies in clinical practice.
4. Research oriented knowledge seekers.
5. Conversant with application of latest information technology in medical profession.
National and International Accreditation:
The College is affiliated with Riphah International University, Islamabad and is recognized by the Pakistan Medical & Dental Council (PM & DC). IIMC is also listed in the WHO directory of accredited medical schools and universities, International Medical Education Directory, USA (IMED), International Institute of Medical Education, USA (IIME) and Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER).
Eighteen batches of MBBS students have already graduated and are registered with PM & DC. They are taken as a valuable addition to a coterie of medical professionals both nationally as well as internationally.
IIMC offers five years basic and clinical training leading to Bachelors in Medicine & Bachelors of Surgery (MBBS). It also offers M. Phil in Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Histopathology, Chemical Pathology, Hematology, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, M.Sc Pain Medicine, Diploma in Anesthesiology, MHPE (Master of Health Profession Education), PhD, and Training in Medicine, Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetrics, Pediatrics, Anesthesia, and Physiology for FCPS Part-II is recognized by College of Physicians and Surgeons of Pakistan.
For clinical and practical training four hospitals are affiliated with IIMC. These are:
1. IIMCT Pakistan Railways Hospital, Rawalpindi, administered since 1998. 353-bed tertiary care hospital.
2. Riphah International Hospital established 2014. 160-bed tertiary care hospital.
3. Islamic International Dental Hospital, Islamabad, established since 2001. 125 Dental Chairs in different dental specialties.
4. Hearts International Hospital, Rawalpindi, established since 1996. 105-bed hospital for delivering high-tech care in cardiology, pulmonology, gastroenterology and many other areas.